INGREDIENTS LIST FOR THE SLOW COOKER PORK BELLY
- 2 lbs (1kg) Pork belly
- Coarse salt and freshly ground Black pepper, to taste
- A pinch of Cayenne pepper, optional
For the Honey Balsamic Glaze
- 1/4 cup (60ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (or dried oregano, basil, and thyme)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. To make the slow cooker pork belly recipe: With a sharp knife, score the pork belly skin diagonally in a diamond pattern. Season with salt, pepper, and Cayenne pepper, rubbing it well into the skin.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet to medium heat. Add the pork belly, skin side down, and cook for 3 minutes until crisped and golden brown. Lightly oil the bottom and sides of your slow cooker and transfer the pork to the slow cooker.
3. In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, chicken stock, honey, garlic, olive oil, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Drizzle the mixture over the pork belly. Close the lid and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 7 hours.
4. When the pork belly is cooked, slice to your desired thickness. Serve the slow-cooked pork belly immediately with rice, noodles,
TIPS FOR THE SLOW COOKER PORK BELLY RECIPE
- We put the pork belly in the slow cooker skin side up – so the fat under the skin will melt slowly and protect the meat from drying up.
- You may want to skim the fat rendered by the pork belly before serving.
- You can reserve a bit of the glaze and heat it for 4-5 minutes in a saucepan until thickened, and serve it on the side.
- Nothing prevents you to crisp up the skin at the end, simply transfer the slow cooker pork belly to a baking dish and broil for a couple of minutes before serving.